Sign in to follow this  
Tyger

Raids via Fractals

Introducing the UCLG Raids via Fractals project

As you might have realized with a fair share of concern, our guild raids project is suspended atm for various reasons. You can check Loreena's posts on discord for a lot of valuable thoughts on why and how this did happen.

My idea is to get the guild back to raids by gearing up and bonding a bunch of people by playing fractals, so that we can finally tackle raids again with a team consisting (at least predominantly) of guild members.

Since we might be on very different levels regarding gear, agony resistance and personal fractal level, ranging from "never played fractals" to "tier 4 challenge mode (yawn) pros", my idea is to get together at more or less coordinated timeslots and play.. while the fractal tier / difficulty level is determined by the player with the lowest gear and lowest fractal level present (presumably me, very often at least). Ofc this requires some effort on the side of more advanced players to help out the others, but eventually this should lead to advancing the general fractal level and gear level of the guild members taking part, finally making it possible to find 10 players with enough gear and experience to form a raid team. If we get enough people to join, we can ofc have more than one party running simultaneously on different tiers.

So what can you do:

If you are a pro, just be so kind to tag along and help the rest of us.

If you are a newbie to fractals or anything in between, just join and improve, get better gear and get used to playing in a more or less coordinated team. For this it is strongly advised that you join us at discord (link is in the Guild Message of the Day), so you can at least listen in to voicechat during play. Makes coordinating the group a hell of a lot easier.. and usually playing more fun. For some hints on How to build up your Agony Resistance see the section below the picture.

So is anyone ready to help me with this? Perhaps on our old raids training timeslot on Saturday, Dec 7th, at 2000 GMT = 2100 CET? But please feel free to suggest a different timeslot.

gw464.jpg

How to build up your Agony Resistance 1 - Getting Started

Starting at around fractal level 20 you will run into a special kind of damage that must be countered by Agony Resistance infusions. You will be getting +1 Agony Infusions just by playing fractals (reward chests). Higher level infusions can be crafted from lower level infusions by level 100 artificers (needs Thermocatalytic Reagents) or bought (for gold and lower level infusions) from the red kitty golem (INFUZ-5959, holding hands with me in the picture above) at Mistlock Observatory, the fractal hub. (There are agony infusions available that grant a secondary benefit in boosting a second attribute, but these are fairly expensive and the boost is not very significant, so I will ignore these infusions here.)

To use agony infusions, you have to put them into infusions slots at you armor, trinkets and weapons, while only ascended (and legendary) gear has these slots. Armor pieces, single-handed weapons and accessories have one infusion slot, dual-handed weapons have two. Back items and rings start with one slot, but can be upgraded to have two (back items) or even three (rings). Amulets don't take infusions. To get a second slot on your rings, you have to attune them, what is quite cheap to do (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Attuned_equipment), so highly recommended. To get the second slot on back items and the third on rings, you have to infuse them (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infused_equipment), what is significantly more expensive and will require a bit of playing fractals to get fractal relics.

The good news is that you don't need to be afraid of wasting infusions or gear by putting infusions in your gear too soon, because (unlike other upgrades) you can remove infusions from your gear reasonably cheap and without destroying anything by using an Infusion Extraction Device that can be bought from the red kitty golem (INFUZ-5959) for 24 silver. So you can attune/infuse your gear or level up your infusions later on without losing more than a couple of silvers (Caution: attuning/infusing without removing the infusions first will destroy them!).

A toon with fully ascended, attuned and infused gear will have 18 infusion slots, whereas the maximum of agony resistance required in the highest tier fractals is 150. So a possible way to reach that maximum is to put eight +9, another eight +8 and two +7 agony infusions in your infusion slots. Since infusions on weapons will grant the protection only when the weapon is wielded, you need to equip all of your weapon sets used with infusions, making putting the cheapest, i.e. the +7 agony infusions, on the weapons a reasonable thing to do.

So if you wanna start playing fractals, you can totally do this with exotic armor and gear and no agony resistance. As soon as agony resistance is required, you can get some ascended accessories and rings quite easily (e.g. on Living World Season 3 maps, like Bitterfrost Frontier or Lake Doric, with selectable stats), attune the rings and you will have six slots to put your infusions. As you move on, you can get more gear and more slots.

Some temporary additional agony resistance can be gained from Mistlock Singularities and Potions (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Agony_Resistance#Other_sources).

If you are not sure what stats your gear should have, check the suggested builds for your class on https://snowcrows.com/ or https://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki. Or just ask Loreena or me for suggestions what class or build you can play (in future raids) or what gear you should get.

Edited by Tyger

Great, level 25 here too. My gear is fully ascended and my fractal frequenter count is at 81 atm, but I never really played more than tier 1 and an occasional tier 2. Let's pump the numbers up, right.

UCLG Raids via Fractals Event 1 (2019-12-07)

First tryout for the UCLG crusade to get people in gear and stats has been done successfully!

Eresch (right in the picture below) led Rijoo (front left), Warlander (far left) and me through the daily and recommended tier 2 fractals (snowblind, chaos, aetherblade and nightmare) and I am proud to announce that it wasn't really much of a challenge. So we pumped up my personal fractal level by four points to 29, and I assume Rijoo and Warlander increased their levels accordingly. On top we did the recommended fractal for tier 1, so I ended up with 24 encrypted fractal chests, one ascended ring, a lot of stuff and quite a nice amount of gold. Dunno about you, but I think we should do this more often.

I won't let it go without mentioning that Eresch stayed true to his habbit of filling slots before I can do that, so he filled many of our unused infusion slots with +9 infusions, spoiling a lot of the fun getting and improving them. Killjoy.. as always.

Guys and gals, join us on this project. I think it's fun and gets us players as well as the guild ahead.

gw495.jpg

Edited by Tyger
  • Like 1

Please note directly my summary regarding raids in the discord, given a few minutes ago.

I mean, what I said earlier in this channel already, that it would not hurt to take 30mins a week to gather material from the Living World maps to get proper ascended trinkets. For the other part it simply is the following rule: As long there is kind of proper build which is compatible with mechanics and you can constantly like 4k dps (+/-), I will not care that much what kind of build with what kind of class you play - expect certain special roles which hard-require certain stats. And playing Nomads gear and saying you are a DPS role is also not acceptable.

For a good set of builds please refer to: https://snowcrows.com/ (as outlined above)

Make sure, to pick your trinkets already according to that, otherwise you end up in wasting ressources. And again, for the first phase that will be from my point of view the way to go.

Edited by Loreena

How to build up your Agony Resistance 2 - Mongering the Infusions

In the first part of this guide I tried to lay out the basics of agony resistance. Now I will try to give some more details regarding levelling up infusions and attuning/infusing your rings and back items.

By playing fractals, you will be getting quite a lot of +1 agony infusions. To level up these infusions you have to combine (fuse) two infusions of the tier below, so for example combining two +1 infusions will result in one +2 infusion, combining two +2 infusions will result in one +3 infusion and so on. So any +n infusion will require 2^(n-1) +1 infusions to be fused.

This fusing can be done by level 100 artificers at a crafting station, while every fusing step will require one Thermocatalytic Reagent (can be bought at most master crafter npcs for 14 silver and 96 copper per 10 units, resulting in a static cost of 1.496 silver per fusing). If you do not have a level 100 artificer on your account or are too lazy to fuse by yourself, you can pay my friend INFUZ-5959, the red kitty golem at Mistlock Observatory, to do it for you (tabs: "+1, +3, +5 and +7 Agony Infusion Upgrade"). He will charge you (if I did my maths correctly) even a fraction of a copper less than you would have to pay for Thermocatalytic Reagents at the vendor when fusing by yourself. So there is no real reason to do the fusing by yourself, unless you can use it to level up your artificer (or just enjoy watching the crafting process, as I do).

If you got the gold, you can buy higher level infusions at the Black Lion Trading Post as well.

Nice thing about agony infusions is that you can reverse the fusing process and 'split up' any higher level infusion into two infusions of the tier below, e.g. one +9 infusion into two +8 infusion. Just ask INFUZ-5959 to give you the two lower level infusions for the one higher level infusion (tab: "Infusion Deconstruction"). Comes in handy if you have a +9 infusion in your gear and you happen to get one more slot, but don't have the infusions to fill it: You can extract your +9 infusion (using the Infusion Extraction Device, see part 1 of this guide), trade it for two +8 infusions and end up with ( 2 x 8 - 9 = ) 7 more points of agony resistance.

So how to get the 18 slots for your infusions?

First get ascended trinkets (accessories, rings, back item). You can get them from a lot of sources including the fractals itself, on Living Season maps, for guild commendations or laurels. Just remember to pick gear with the correct stats for the build you want to play. Some items have fixed stats, some offer you the possibility to select stats (for more intel on how to get ascended trinkets see https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_trinket). If in doubt, ask Loreena or me. This will give you 5 slots to start with.

Next thing you can do is attune your rings. This is extremely cheap, so do this at once. All you need to do is invest three Central Tyria mastery points in the Fractal Attunement mastery track to become Agony Channeler, so you can buy one Agonized Essence from INFUZ-5959 (tab: "Mastery Items") for 24 silver. Get one Philosopher's Stone (10 for 1 spirit shard) at the mystic forge vendor npc, invest one +1 agony infusion and throw the stuff into the mystic forge, along with the ring you want to attune (Caution: remove the infusions before throwing the ring into the forge, or they will be destroyed; see part 1 of this guide). Done. Do this with two rings and you will end up with 7 slots now.

Next ascended stuff you might want to get are ascended weapons. There are a lot of ways to get some: crafting, looting, buying or completing specializiation collections (see https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_weapon). A set of two single-handed weapons or one dual-handed weapon will give you two more slots, so you will have 9 slots in total. Keep in mind though that infusions on weapons will grant the protection only when the weapon is wielded, so if you swap weapons, you have to equip both sets to keep the protection up during the whole fight.

Sooner or later you want to have ascended armor. Again, there are multiple ways to get it, including crafting, looting or buying (see https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_armor). The six armor pieces will give you one slot each and you will have 15 slots then.

After or while getting your ascended weapons and armor you will want to infuse your rings and back item. To infuse a ring you need 750 fractal relics and 7 gold 36 silver to buy 1 Shard, 3 Globs and 5 Vials of Crystallized Mists Essence from INFUZ-5959 (tab: "Mastery Items"). Most back items (e.g. the ones obtained on Living World maps; for exceptions see https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infused_equipment#Back_items) require 800 fractal relics and 3 gold 13 silver 20 copper to buy 1 Shard of Crystallized Mists Essence from INFUZ-5959 (tab: "Mastery Items") and 1 Gift of Ascension from BUY-4373, the blue kitty golem vendor (tab: "Merchant"; unless you get this gift from the Pact Reformer achievement, see https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pact_Reformer), plus 250 Globs of Ectoplasma. Throw the stuff in the mystic forge along with the ring or back item you want to infuse (Caution: remove the infusions before throwing the gear into the forge, or they will be destroyed; see part 1 of this guide). Do this with two rings and one back item and you got your 18 slots.

After attuning/infusing you might have to re-select the stats on rings or back items that allow stat-selection.

Fractal Relics are the dungeon currency of the fractals. You get them primarily from fractal rewards chests. Dessa's Alchemist at Mistlock Observatory (tab: "Potion Refunds") will trade you fractal relics for mist potions that might drop when playing fractals. BUY-2046, the yellow kitty golem vendor (tab: "Ascended Gear") will trade you fractal relics for Pristine Fractal Relics, that you will be getting mainly for playing daily and recommended fractals.

So one way to allocate infusions on your 18 slots to get your 150 Agony Resistance is this:

Put +9 infusions in your six armor slots (54 points). Put +7 infusions on your weapon sets (14 points). Put +8 infusions on your accessories (16 points). Put +9 infusions on your (not yet infused) back item and two +9 infusions each on your attuned (not yet infused) rings (45 points). So you will have 54 + 14 + 16 + 45 = 129 points by now. As soon as you infuse a ring or the back item, split one +9 infusion (that you removed savely before infusing) into two +8 infusions and put the infusions back into the trinket. Do this with two rings and the back item, each time gaining 7 points, and whoops.. you got Agony Resistance 150.

Edited by Tyger

UCLG Raids via Fractals Event 2 (2019-12-11)

Rijoo (front right), Eresch (taily thingy hiding the UCLG emblem on my chest) and me did the daily tier 2 fractals today in a quick and mostly easy run. Got me enough fractal relics to finally infuse my back item so that I - following my own advice given in my guide - am at 150 agony resistance now. Yay!

I still find it amazing how much gold you make by playing daily fractals, compared to other stuff you can do in Guild Wars 2, even on tier 2. And strange for me to say, but Eresch is doing a really great job in explaining the mechanics.

So guys consider joining in! Watch out for announcements on discord for dates and times of more runs like that.

gw502a.jpg

UCLG Raids via Fractals Event 3 (2020-01-16)

Yay, first fractals event in 2020 done with success!

Rijoo (with her big blue hat), Eresch (tiny red being with the scythe) and me, alongside with two PUGs, vanquished today's daily fractals (Snowblind, Volcanic and Nightmare) on tier 3. With Eresch calling the shots it went smoothly and we succeeded at everything at the first try. Nice work!

Picture shows Rijoo's pets, Anabel Chantal Rosa and the little spider snow tiger, looking down on the mayhem we just caused.

Gjj7uu1.jpg

Edited by Tyger
  • Like 1

UCLG Raids via Fractals Event 4 (2020-01-23)

We might have a thing going here..

Rijoo (left, with a newly dyed hat), Eresch (right, with a not so newly tattooed tongue, but all the more chesty gin) an me just did the daily fractals (Molten Boss, Underground Facility and Twilight Oasis) on tier 3. In spite of a constant coming and going of PUGs in the beginning we managed to get it done almost in one go, only for Priestess Amala in Twilight Oasis we had to repeat a phase. The shrub between Rijoo and me is her pet Ingeboga, btw.

Peeps, don't be shy, join us on future events like this!

zPI74RN.jpg

Edited by Tyger
  • Like 1

UCLG Raids via Fractals Event 5 (2020-01-30)

We can do it! Once more Rijoo (left, on her rock-er), Eresch (outgrown himself this time as a snow-laden fir-tree on the right) and me together with two quite acceptable PUGs vanquished daily fracs (Shattered Observatory, Mai Trin and Molten Boss) on tier 3 for the soothing feeling of being able to do it with no big fuzz. As the events in this chain prove to be, it was fun and instructive again..

My personal fractal level is 49 by now, Rijoo is further increasing her agony resistance.. so the pumping up stats idea is actually working, imo. So jump on that train guys!

IQalHmF.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, that's my Victory Rock. But found some harrier leggings in that run. So, +9 AR for me (AR 89 now) and I can also infuse my rings now. Make more Druids Stuff from me in fractals...

Edited by Rijoo Yamarchant
  • Like 1

UCLG Raids via Fractals Event 6 (2020-02-07)

This week featured Rijoo's first healing assingment. And she did great!

We did the daily tier 3 fracs (Molten Furnace, Deepstone and Siren's Reef) with a bit more effort than we needed during the past weeks, due to the fracs, especially Siren's Reef, being a bit more challanging. But in the end everything worked out and we succeeded within reasonable time.

Rijoo picked up D Fallaster (who joined us at random, left in the picture) after we finished, so welcome him to the Guild and Legion!

Picture shows Rijoo in her new ascended green druid's armor, with Eresch posing as an Asuran toolbox in front of her and D Fallaster whatching what she is doing. On the right the lady mesmer who joined us in all three fracs.

TcV81Tw.jpg

Edited by Tyger
  • Like 1

Nah, its not ascended, yet. Just the leggins. But I found a box again, shoulders this time. So I should have enough Leather and Damask to get the rest done. But I need to get more infusions...

UCLG Raids via Fractals Event 7 (2020-02-13)

With Rijoo out this week the UCLG Raids via Fractals event saw Raven and Rawn back on the roster! After a thorough period of preparation Eresch led us through the daily tier 3 fracs (Swampland, Solid Ocean and Deepstone) that were all vanquished on the first attempt.. In the end Eresch excelled in finishing The Voice in Deepstone after everybody else had died.

Picture shows the team in Deepstone with Rawn to the left, Eresch as a jumping bug in front of me and Raven, who had to leave before the last frac, being represented by the void look in my loyal sheperd's eyes.

wXP3OGE.jpg

Edited by Tyger

UCLG Raids via Fractals Event 8 (2020-02-20)

No rest for the wicked.. Rijoo (left in the picture below with her pet Gerrinde), Eresch (matching Gerrinde in a rather undefinable but impressively big mordrem guise) and me together with two PUGs rushed today's daily fractals on tier 3 (Urban Battleground, Uncategorized and Chaos) in like 40 mins. Rijoo's mastering healing (me, above all) and at an impressive AR of 116 now..

Picture shows us at the starting area of the Chaos fractal, after a successful attempt of not falling down.

JiZ9NKK.jpg

• Like 1

UCLG Raids via Fractals Event 9 (2020-02-28)

In spite of the major changes done with the last balance update Eresch pushed Rijoo, Rawn and me through todays tier 3 fractal dailies (Molten Boss, Cliffside and Siren's Reef) in a little less than an hour.

Picture shows Eresch for a change as an overgrown flame bolt behind my back, Rijoo still in green without her hat, but with her electric wyvern pet and Rawn in thief's clothes with Bo.

There is one nice spot vacant in this group, so don't be shy..

V3wJ6sl.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

UCLG Raids via Fractals Event 10 (2020-03-05)

This is actually becoming a thing... Eresch, Rijoo and me (Rawn and Grizzly missed the train by a few minutes unfortunately) beat the daily fractals on tier 3 (Nightmare and Snowblind) respectively.. beware.. tier 4 (Frozen Ocean). In the middle of all the snow I realized that revenant upkeeps can now cause a serious self-torment, if combined with a certain trait from the corruption line... after that had been fixed, I kept dying only to natural causes again.

Picture below shows Rijoo crying about my many deaths, Rawn just having emerged out of a loading screen und Eresch circling my feet as a set of dustmites.

SaHjnFz.jpg

Edited by Tyger
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

UCLG Raids via Fractals Event 11 (2020-03-12)

Yeah! For the first time we got a full guild party of five doing tier 3 dailies (Nightmare, Aetherblade and Chaos) and tier 1 to 3 recs (Thaumanova Reactor, Snowblind, Mai Trin)!

Picture shows (from left to right) Grizly, Rijoo, Eresch as a Caveman, me and Rawn the Monkeyking. All the pets and minis were already partying at the after hour buffet.

Ydydyxs.jpg

Edited by Tyger
  • Like 1

UCLG Raids via Fractals Event 12 (2020-03-26)

After one week without, we resumed the Raids via Fractals project and steamrolled tier 4 solid ocean as well as tier 3 underground facility and urban battleground for dailies and on top did deepstone, molten furnace and shadow oasis for recs tier 1 to 3.

Picture shows Loreena (left), Rijoo (right) and Eresch (as a bunch of bats, symbolizing my throbbing headache, but kinda hard to make out) more or less inside of me.

WjxfumV.jpg

• Haha 1