Author Topic: Forum improvements  (Read 81 times)

Gorefiend

• Wurm Online Alliance Manager
    • View Profile
Forum improvements
« on: March 06, 2019, 06:22:43 PM »
some ideas to make it look a little bit better.

1. change default theme. in future maybe we can make our own theme from scratch or modify one of free available. themes can be taken from here: https://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?action=search;type=8

2. add smth like captcha or email verification as one of the registration steps. that would significantly limit spamming bots in topics

3. if we decide to stick with SMF as forum engine, it makes sense to think about moving the whole site to one of the frameworks like hoop, mambo or joomla. SMF supports integration with them and we will have a single login for both site and forum, user rights management driven from one place, and some more handy features.

obviously there is much more what can be done, but these are the things i can help with. Ofc, any other ideas would be also highly appreciated.

AJBlack

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Forum improvements
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 09:07:16 PM »

2. add smth like captcha or email verification as one of the registration steps. that would significantly limit spamming bots in topics

A real neat version of captcha added.

Gorefiend

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 01:19:19 AM »
regarding #2. found one interesting thing: WP2SMFBridge

This plugin will do these following tasks:

If a user log in WP, then that user will be logged in SMF.
If a user logout in WP, then that user will be logout in SMF.
If a user created/register/change password in WP, those actions happen on SMF!
Users that are created in SMF can be used once disabled WP plugin.
V2 work with old WP users!

something tells me though, that this won't work from scratch.

AJBlack

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 02:13:08 AM »
regarding #2. found one interesting thing: WP2SMFBridge

This plugin will do these following tasks:

If a user log in WP, then that user will be logged in SMF.
If a user logout in WP, then that user will be logout in SMF.
If a user created/register/change password in WP, those actions happen on SMF!
Users that are created in SMF can be used once disabled WP plugin.
V2 work with old WP users!

something tells me though, that this won't work from scratch.

This looks cool, but probably needs tons of work! I'll look into it.

Gorefiend

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 05:49:37 AM »
This looks cool, but probably needs tons of work! I'll look into it.

last update was as 2 years ago. in those times it was working. but afterwards there were new releases of SMF and WP as well, and here the catch is expected. i'm pretty sure, that we cn handle this, my concern is regarding a little bit another question.

we will have to change the "paradigma" of the site. currently we can only look at domain (main site which is uncanny-legion.net), and we are registering and logging into a subdoman (.../forum). more logically would be to register and login and main site, and if you want to go to the forum - you will be redirecting and authorized authomatically. that makes sense, but this brings out another question: what to do with existing forum users? can we copy them to wp database? if not, that will mean wipe, we will hape to start everything from scratch. that needs more deep investigation at tables level. basically, i believe, we can do it, the question is to find out how exactly. speaking technically, our current "master-source" is forum data. if we are moving authorization to WP, we're changing "master-source", and we will have to find a way to replicate existing data somehow, otherwise we will lose it.

so, main problem here is not how to install it (piece of cake), but how to prevent data loss and keep existing users.